Alright after much of a lead-up it actually is here! Sadly, I don’t just take jaunts in first class to foreign countries often, like some bloggers. So the excitement for my Maldives trip is pretty strong! Below I’ve detailed my final Maldives itinerary and how to follow along live before the trip report if you’re interested.
By the time this posts I will be on my way!
Follow along on social media
Both Ben and I really don’t use the blog’s social media as much as we should – and don’t even pimp out our pages to friends and family to get more followers. But for this trip I’ll be posting live updates, cool snapshots, and anything else on the following channels:
- Instagram: including IG stories for tons of casual shots
- Twitter: random musings, kudos, and a picture here or there
- Facebook: non-character controlled updates and pictures
As partially detailed here I am flying the following products:
- Asiana A380 First Class to Seoul
- Thai Airways 777-300 Business Class Seoul-Hong Kong
- Sri Lankan Airways A321 Business Class Hong Kong-Colombo
- Sri Lankan Airways A330-300 Business Class Colombo-Male
- Etihad A320 Business Class Male-Abu Dhabi
- Etihad A380 Apartment Abu Dhabi-New York
- An unexciting domestic connection home from there…
To book these flights I used the following:
- 100,000 Singapore KrisFlyer miles for US-Hong Kong.
- Paid flights using Chase Ultimate Rewards points for Hong Kong-Male
- 115,00 American AAdvantage miles for Male-US
Keep in mind these are not the best values for flying First Class to Asia. But, I had points spread across multiple transferable currencies so Singapore KrisFlyer points were the best way to give me enough points to fly first. Plus, Singapore has very cheap change fees which I knew would come in handy. And they certainly did since originally we were going to stop in Bangkok on the way to the Maldives.
I’m also really excited my flights will include two A380’s. The only time I’ve flown on one before was British Airways LHR-LAX in a middle seat in the back row of economy. That’s a long story but I definitely am looking forward to Asiana and Etihad first class.
Hong Kong: Conrad Hong Kong
I wouldn’t say this particular property was calling to us but based on points balances and being Hilton Gold it’s where we ended up. Hong Kong has tons of points options but we wanted to stay somewhere luxurious and, most importantly, free with points! Getting free breakfast as a Gold member is a nice perk too.
I used one free night from the now defunct Citi Hilton Reserve sign-up bonus and 65,000 HiltonHonors points for the other night.
Colombo: Serenediva Transit Hotel
Maldives: Conrad Maldives
Ah, the big destination! We used points for the entire stay but are paying to upgrade from a standard Beach Villa to one of the overwater villas for the end of our stay!
Activities Planned – Hong Kong
I’m a big believer in my points philosophy which is that luxurious travel is awesome but the destination is just as, if not more, important. Based on that we have a few Hong Kong activities planned to try to see as much of the city as possible in a short time frame:
- Dim sum dinner in Mong Kok
- Exploring the markets in Mong Kok
- Having dinner at the 3* Michelin restaurant Lung King Heen at the Four Seasons
- Watching the Symphony of Lights
- Taking the tram up Victoria’s Peak
- Lots of noodles, dumplings, roast goose, and other specialties found in Hong Kong
Activities Planned – Conrad Maldives
Of course the ultimate goal is to relax and just enjoy ourselves here. That being said we do have access to a free afternoon tea and happy hour due to being Hilton Gold that we will probably be enjoying every afternoon. We also plan on getting cocktails at Ithaa vs. a full meal to save some money (although cocktails aren’t cheap either…). Lots of snorkeling, maybe some scuba diving, and perhaps a massage are also on deck!
As someone with a full time job this type of trip is not an everyday occurrence. I’m beyond excited for this trip and to go to a bucket list place like the Maldives, and of course fly a bucket list first class product like the Etihad Apartment.