Welcome to the One Stop Travel Roundup. Your briefing on important happenings in the world of travel, airline miles, hotel points and more.
From Points, Miles, and More:
- Ben and I had a couple rookie mistakes between me almost losing 1,000 points for missing a $10 payment and him not getting IHG points by booking through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. Kudos to American Express and IHG for their great customer service!
- I detailed how many points you can earn from booking events at one of the major hotel chains, including which can get you towards elite status, maximums, and even a sample spending scenario.
- Ben wrote about Cassie De Pecol being the fastest person to visit every country. And an update on the claim she was the first woman to do so was false.
- I shared an anecdote of spending a romantic Valentine’s Day evening trying to book award travel, and how even simple award bookings can be frustrating.
- I discussed why I’m putting paid stays at Hilton (right now). Thanks to their generous promos and the opportunity to earn 12x points for each dollar spent with my Hilton Surpass Amex I’m having a tough time booking those glamorous Anaheim work trips with any other brand.
- Ben asked if Americans are canceling trips to Mexico. Ben and my sister-in-law travel to Mexico often, as do my husband and I. In fact, we rang in 2016 with them in Puerto Peñasco and my husband and I rang in 2017 at the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos! So we’re not canceling our trips anytime soon.
- Finally, the Chase Ultimate Rewards Partner Transfer Guide was published. We both worked hard to evaluate each transfer option through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards portal. As usual, your mileage may vary on what the best redemption is for you!
From around the web:
- Points with a Crew covered a Southwest and Frontier plane clipping wings at my home
airport of Sky Harbor with the wings visibly damaged.
- The LA Times reports on snarled travel at LAX and other airports due to a record setting storm in Southern California.
- View from the Wing mentions increased American award availability. Unfortunately it’s not increased enough for me to find a final leg home on my Maldives trip which is in its final planning stages.
- One Mile at a Time reports that there may be a new Trump travel ban signed Tuesday. Any residents of the countries on the previous travel ban should get back to the United States ASAP.
- Flyertalk comes through again to find deeply discounted first or business class deals. Find the details of Singapore’s sale where you can fly to Asia in their excellent product for under $2,000. Still too rich for my blood but others may find it useful!
Upcoming this week: how long a points transfer to Singapore Air’s Krisflyer program really takes, an update on Maldives planning, and more. Fingers crossed during the next travel roundup I will securely have Etihad F Apartment booked!